The Friends’ Purpose
In accordance with the Articles of Continuance the purpose of the Friends of the Canadian War Museum (the Friends) is:
To promote, support and assist the Canadian War Museum (the Museum) with the view to educating present and future generations of Canadians on Canada’s military heritage, preserving historical artefacts, promoting research and encouraging future generations to reflect on past sacrifices.
Our mission is to promote and support the Museum in its role as a vital Canadian institution.
We seek to be a pan-Canadian national organization supporting the Museum through fundraising, volunteering and program participation.
Strategic Policy Statement
This strategic plan flows from our corporate mission. In all endeavours, the Board of Directors is guided by the fundamental strategic aim to strengthen constituency and to build financial position. The Friends leadership and its supporting committees are empowered to make appropriate choices within this framework for ensuring effective operations and accountability to its stakeholders.
- To raise funds;
- To build constituency across Canada;
- To optimize support directed to the Museum; and
- To govern and administer the Friends organization effectively and efficiently.
Planning and Implementation Framework
Using the Strategic Objectives as a lens to focus our initiatives, this framework defines those objectives by setting out priority areas and measures of success. The framework will guide the Board and Committees toward realizing their priority efforts.
1. To raise funds;
The Friends will have increased revenues by at least $200,000 through;
- Donations, and
2. To build constituency across Canada;
The Friends will have connected with like-minded individuals and organizations in every province and territory through:
- Creating local and national involvement opportunities;
- Linking with compatible organizations; and
- Building communication channels.
3. To optimize support directed to the Museum;
The Friends will have strengthened its relationships with the Museum management and staff through:
- Co-identifying and designating Museum projects to receive Friends’ funds and volunteer support; and
- Integrating the planning and execution of designated projects.
4. To govern and administer the Friends organization effectively and efficiently.
The Friends will align its governance, administration and operations by continuous improvement in the following areas;
- Strategic reviews,
- Administrative processes,
- Governance renewal, and
- Organizational communications.