Bob was born in Cochrane, ON in 1941 and grew up in a small village north of there where his father worked at a hydro-electric power station on the Abitibi River. While a student at university, Bob joined the C.O.T.C. Having come out of the northern Ontario bush and thinking soldiers were just moose hunters with good boots, Bob chose the infantry. In his last year of university, Bob transferred to the R.O.T.P.
After graduation from the University of Western Ontario in 1963 with a BA in history, Bob was posted to the 1st Battalion, The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada in Camp Gagetown, NB. He served with that unit for five and a half years including a tour with the UN Forces in Cyprus in 1967-68. In 1969-70 Bob served a 12 month tour with the UN Truce Supervision Organization in Palestine. His next posting was to the Combat Arms School at CFB Gagetown as an instructor. While there, he transferred to the Royal Canadian Regiment. In 1973 he was posted to 3RCR in Petawawa, ON where he served as the unit Operations Officer. In 1976 Bob began a slight career change when he was posted to Mobile Command Headquarters at St, Hubert, QC as an infantry equipment staff officer. This was followed shortly by a posting to the Royal Military College of Science at Shrivenham, UK where Bob attended a 12-month technical staff course. In 1979 he was posted to NDHQ where he served for nearly sixyears as the small arms desk officer in the Directorate of Requirements. After a one year posting to the Land Armament Engineering office in NDHQ, Bob was offered a position as a civilian technologist in the Directorate of Ammunition Engineering in 1985. Bob served there, managing ammunition (mostly for the Navy) until his retirement in 2001.
Bob is an expert on military small arms. He has put this expertise to good use as a Volunteer Interpreter at the Canadian War Museum since 1981.